LA GRANGE VILLAGE HALL/LYONS TOWNSHIP HALL Print by Steve Botes
Artist: Steve Botes
“LYONS TOWNSHIP HALL”
FROM WIKIPEDIA: "The La Grange Village Hall, also known as the Lyons Township Hall, is a historic building at 53 S. LaGrange Road in La Grange, Illinois. Built in 1900, the building houses the offices of the village of La Grange and Lyons Township. It historically also hosted most of La Grange's community events and is home to an American Legion post. The architecture firm Stiles & Stephens of Chicago designed the building in the Georgian Revival style, which was one of the classically inspired styles popular for large public buildings at the time. The building's design includes an arched stone entrance flanked by Ionic columns and topped by a balustrade, brick quoins, a bracketed and dentillatedcornice, and pedimenteddormers on each side of the roof."
Steve G. Botes was born in Chicago, IL on July 15, 1927. After graduating from Harrison High School in 1945, he enlisted in the US Navy, and served as a Seabee in the US Construction Battalions - Pacific Theatre until 1948. He married Margaret B. Schmidt on July 17, 1949. Steve obtained an architectural degree from the University of Illinois and in 1955 began an architectural career of more than 50 years. He resided in La Grange, ILfor over 40 years, and then retired to Mercer, WI in 2001. Steve enjoyed skin and scuba diving and was a founding member of the Atlantis Divers in 1956 at the LaGrange YMCA. He was also a member of the Cliff Dwellers Club of Chicago, the La Grange Art League.